After 90 minutes drive from Hurghada, you can reach Shaab el Erg, the first dive site on the Safari.
Shaab el Erg is an extensive reef, in the shape of a horseshoe. This formation is open to the south with a shallow lagoon, which is full of ergs. The whole lagoon can be dived.
Very popular are the northern tip, the eastern wall or the southwestern tip - Gota Shaab el Erg.
- Between Gota and the main reef is a small canal; on the south and west side is a large sandy plateau with innumerable towers and coral heads. The domiciled dolphins pass several times a day this channel. They can be seen all year round here.
- Mantas can be observed from January to March on the northern tip.
- On the plateau that surrounds Gota, you can find scorpion fish, groupers, snowflake moray, blue spotted stingrays and many triggerfish. .
- Under the table corals you can see from time to time white tip reef sharks.
- In the sand you find cone snails, shells and sole. Along the shallow reef frolicking nose unicorn fish, angelfish, bream, snapper and turtles.
- The diving on Gota Shaab el Erg is dreamlike. For photographers especially the coral heads are likely to be interesting.